CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

What's Church?

So I’ve been thinking a lot about the Church and what exactly it is. I’ve been thinking about the Church and what it looks like. I’ve been thinking about the Church and where my place is in it. In this desire to internally illustrate the Bride, being a good Catholic, I took a look in the Catechism.

“To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son’s Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is “the world reconciled”. She is that bark which “in the full sail of the Lord’s cross, by the breath of the holy spirit, navigates safely in this world.” (CCC 845)

Immediately I picture this grand cruise ship traversing through turbulent and violent waters infested with sharks, octopi, and a many variety of sea monsters. Despite the crashing waves and monster attacks, nothing is quite capable achieving of any sort of debacle until the day we are all reunited on triumphant shores of the heavenly kingdom. But I think I’m wrong about something.

“Christians on earth (the Church Militant) are still struggling against sin in order that, when they die, they might go to heaven and be members of the Church Triumphant, those who have triumphed over sin. However, if this struggle is successful, but not completely so, then after death they temporarily become members of the Church Suffering before ultimately joining the Church Triumphant.” (Wikipedia.org)

Where does my imagination lead me now? This time we’re assembled in this massive regiment equipped with high-tech artillery; tanks, jets, and humvees all the while aided by distant subs and aircraft carriers. But something doesn’t seem quite right for me. I believe in the conditions that are being expressed but I hold a grievance with the loftiness. I believe there are turbulent waters, I believe there is a battle to be fought but I can’t reconcile it with being a guest on a cruise ship or a mighty military commander. For what reason? Because I don’t feel like one. I can’t ignore Deuteronomy 7:7 …

“The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples.”

God in NOWAY requires mighty armies or majestic and affluent pleasure cruises, it’s our worldliness (my worldliness) to have ever suggested it in the first place. Who exactly are we?

“In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.” (Ephesians 1: 4-5)

If we adopted it means one thing, we’re misbegotten, we’re bastards. The Church is no more an impressive army than daffy duck is a military strategist. The Church, in my mind, is an Orphanage, one with violent waves to circumnavigate and an enemies to vanquish. St. Paul says this…

“Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1: 26-31)

If this illustration is correct I think for once I feel like I have a place in the Church.

0 comments: